While the neighbor Harold Hansen was here with his front loader digging out the area for the fire pit, we had him dig up the roots and humps in front of the existing kitchen and deck so we could extend it. The deck on front of the kitchen was too small and confining when we had guests, especially if it was raining. He also flattened and moved the excess dirt between the kitchen and the Park Model so we could level it and plant it to grass seed. We did lose some of the ground cover, the bunchberries, cranberries, fireweed and wild roses, but it was a small price to pay for having the deck area cleared.
After laying out the size and square of the new deck, Todd and I dug holes for the concrete tubes and placed the floor joists. The deck extension is 16 feet long and 12 feet wide. We then stabilized the joists with 4 x 4 treated pine posts and poured concrete around the bases in the tubes. As soon as it was set, we nailed the joists to the posts to support the deck.
The photo shows Todd and I placing the deck boards and screwing them in place. With this deck we made 1/4 inch gaps between the deck boards because the lumber we are using is kiln dried and doesn’t seem to shrink much. The posts above the deck will be the supports for the railing around the outside of the deck.
From the front of the deck, we extended the deck to the driveway with a walkway. Here Todd and I are fitting the joists to the 4 x 4 support posts to hold the walkway decking.
I was nailing in the last of the walkway joists when Jan took this photo. For the walkway we laid the decking board lengthwise rather than crosswise to minimize the amount of cutting that would be required.
Having completed the decking on the walkway and finished the railings around the entire deck, we began to build the stairs down to the driveway level. Here we are setting base poles for the bottom of the stairs in the concrete tubes and nailing them to the stairstep joists. We then placed in the double 2 x 6 steps and built the railings down to the bottom.
The steps are finished, I placed gravel around the base of the steps out into the gravel of the driveway so we wouldn’t be dragging dirt up onto the deck. Since the photo was taken, Jan has been picking up rocks around the yard and in the ditches along the street to fill along the dirt bank on each side of the steps. We kept the two spruce trees on each side of the steps at the top and someday they will probably be to large although that will be many years from now.
The Finished Deck with an eagle and bear to guard the entrance. Temporally the totem on the corner although it will be moved out to the other side of the fire pit next summer. And one of the heavy picnic tables which just fits in the front corner. We moved the flower pots up on it to give it some color. The area to the right and below the bear has been planted with wild flowers, bunchberries and a couple of small spruce to fill in the space. Next summer we will add a walkway between the Park Model and this deck. But that’s for the future.